Sulindac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is used to relief pain and swelling associated with certain types of arthritis. Sulindac overdose occurs when someone takes too much of this medicine.
Sulindac is also sold under the brand name Clinoril.
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Stomach and intestines
- Stomach or abdominal pain
- Heart and blood
- Low blood pressure
- Nervous system
Determine the following:
- The patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
Recovery is very likely.
Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.