Stoddard solvent poisoning
This is poisoning caused by swallowing or touching stoddard solvent, a flammable, liquid chemical that smells like kerosene.
- Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits)
- Dy cleaning fluids
- Paint thinner
- Toners used in copy machines
- Breathing difficulty (severe)
- Breathing - fast and shallow
- Burns with prolonged contact
- Weight loss
- Burns in mouth and stomach
Heart and blood
- Rapid heartbeat
- Numbness in arms and legs
- Burning sensations
- Memory problems
DO NOT make the person throw up. This can cause more damage. Seek immediate medical help.
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.
The patient may receive:
- Medicines to treat symptoms and relieve pain
- A nasogastric (NG) tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
- Skin washing with soap and water (if poison touches the skin)
- Flushing of the eyes with water (if poison touches the eyes)
Recovery depends on how much damage there was to the lung.
Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-RooseveltHospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed HealthcareNetwork.