Sports cream overdose
Sports cream overdose is poisoning due to creams or ointments that treat aches and pains.
Methyl-salicylates and menthol are found in many over-the-counter pain-relieving creams.
- Body as a whole (from eating the poison)
- Rash (usually an allergic reaction)
- Mild burn (in extremely high doses)
- Rapid breathing
- Breathing may stop
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Ringing in the ears
- Eye irritation
- Loss of vision
- Throat swelling
- Nausea or vomiting
- Bleeding in the stomach
- Nervous system
- Kidney failure
If the cream was swallowed or placed in the eyes, seek immediate medical treatment. Flush the eyes with water and remove any cream that remains on the skin.
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- When it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the emergency room.
If the poison was swallowed, medications will be given to treat any symptoms. You may also expect the following:
- Blood tests
- A tube placed down the nose and into the stomach
- Activated charcoal to neutralize acids
- Fluids given by IV
- Admission to the hospital
If the poisoning occurred through skin exposure, the following steps may be followed:
- Washing (irrigation) of the skin, perhaps every few hours for several days
- Surgical removal of burned skin (debridement)
The patient may be sent to a hospital that specializes in burn care.
The amount of poisoning depends on how much of the chemicals got into the blood. Recovery is likely if the effects can be neutralized.
Michael JB. Deadly pediatric poisons: nine common agents that kill at low doses. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2004; 22(4): 1019-50.
Mokhlesi B. Adult toxicology in critical care: Part II: specific poisonings. Chest. 2003; 123(3): 897-922.
Reviewed By: Stephen C Acosta, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, Portland VA MedicalCenter, Portland, OR. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.