Shaving cream poisoning
This is poisoning from eating shaving cream.
- Anionic surfactants (soaps)
- Nonionic surfactants (soaps)
- Various shaving creams
- Difficulty breathing (from inhalation or allergic reaction)
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Burning pain in the throat
- Blurred vision
- Burns to the eye
DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional. Seek immediate medical help.
If the chemical was swallowed, immediately give the person water or milk, unless instructed otherwise by a health care provider. DO NOT give water or milk if the patient is having symptoms (such as vomiting, convulsions, or a decreased level of alertness) that make it hard to swallow.
Determine the following information:
- The patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:
- Fluids by IV
- Medicines to treat symptoms
- Medicines to treat the allergic reaction (diphenhydramine and prednisone)
Since these products are relatively nontoxic, recovery is very likely.
Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-RooseveltHospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed HealthcareNetwork.