This is poisoning from swallowing the ingredients of a sachet. A sachet is a bag that holds perfumed powder or a mix of dried flowers, herbs, and spices (potpourri).
Potpourri is generally considered to be non-toxic.
- Various sachets and potpourri
- Shallow breathing
- Rapid breathing
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Throat irritation
- Eye irritation
- Nervous system
DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional. Seek immediate medical help.
Determine the following information:
- The patient's age, weight, and condition
- The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:
- Fluids by IV
- Medicines to treat symptoms
- Activated charcoal
- Medicines to treat the allergic reaction (diphenhydramine, prednisone)
- Irrigation (washing of the skin), perhaps every few hours for several days
Sachets are not considered very poisonous. Survival past 48 hours is usually a good sign that recovery will occur.
Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-RooseveltHospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed HealthcareNetwork.