This is poisoning from an overdose of the addictive drug phencyclidine.
- Uncontrolled movement
- Nystagmus (side-to-side eye movements)
- High blood pressure
- Agitation (overly excited, violent behavior)
- Altered state of consciousness
- Catatonic trance (patient does not talk, move, or react)
DO NOT make the person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control.
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the emergency room.
Some or all of the following procedures may be performed:
- Use gastric lavage.
- Treat the symptoms.
The outcome depends on the amount of PCP in the body, the time from the ingestion until medical treatment, and other factors. Recovery from the psychotic state may take several weeks in a quiet, darkened room.
Reviewed By: Janeen R. Azare, PhD, MSPH, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-KetteringCancer Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.