Pentobarbital is sedative, which is a medicine that makes you sleepy. Pentobarbital overdose occurs when a person intentionally or accidentally takes too much of the medicine.
- Heart and blood vessels:
- Heart failure
- Low blood pressure
- Weak pulse
- Kidneys and bladder
- Kidney failure (possible)
- Nervous system
Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.
Determine the following information:
- The patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of product (as well as the ingredients and strength if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
- If the medication was prescribed for the patient
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Gastric lavage
In severe cases, a breathing machine may be needed.
How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. With proper treatment, recovery may occur within 1 to 5 days.
Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.