Oral hypoglycemics overdose
This is poisoning from swallowing a large amount of hypoglycemic pills, which are used to control diabetes.
- Chlorpropamide (Diabinese)
- Tolbutamide (Orinase)
- Acetohexamide (Dymelor)
- Tolazamide (Tolinase)
- Glipizide (Glucotrol)
- Glyburide (DiaBeta, Micronase)
- Glimepiride (Amaryl)
- Whole body
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Tingling of tongue and lips
- Heart and blood
- Nervous system
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the plant, if known
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- A nasogastric (NG) tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
- Blood tests to measure blood glucose
- Dextrose (sugar) solution given by IV
- Methods to make the person throw up
Some of these medications may stay in the body for a long time, so the individual need to be watched for several days. Death is possible, especially if an abnormal blood glucose level is not corrected in a timely manner.
Reviewed By: Janeen R. Azare, PhD, MSPH, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.