This poisoning is from swallowing products that contain lanolin.
Lanolin, an oily substance that comes from sheep's wool.
Lanolin may be found in some of the following items:
- Baby oil
- Eye care products
- Diaper rash products
- Hemorrhoid medications
- Lotions and skin creams
- Medicated shampoos
- Makeup (lipstick, powder, foundation)
- Makeup removers
- Shaving creams
- Swelling and redness of skin
Discontinue use of lanolin.
If you think that there has been a poisoning due to lanolin, seek immediate emergency medical care.
Determine the following information:
- The patient's age, weight and condition
- The name of product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- The time it was swallowed
- The amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure.
The patient may receive:
- Fluids by IV
- Blood tests
- Medicines to treat symptoms
- Activated charcoal
- A nasogastric (NG) tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
Skin cleansers are relatively nontoxic, but larger doses can block the intestines.
Patients who received quick and proper treatment have a good chance of recovery.
Reviewed By: Janeen R. Azare, PhD, MSPH, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.