This is poisoning caused by swallowing diazinon, an insecticide.
- Some insecticides
- Heart and blood
- Low or high blood pressure
- Slow or rapid heart rate
- Breathing difficulty
- Eyes, ears, nose, and throat
- Small pupils (unreactive to light)
- Tearing, increased
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal cramps
- Nervous system
Call Poison Control Center for appropriate treatment instructions. If the insecticide is on the skin, wash the area thoroughly for at least 15 minutes.
Determine the following information:
- Patient's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the U.S. use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Take the container with you to the hospital, if possible.
The health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The patient may receive:
- Medicines to treat symptoms
- Breathing help
- A nasogastric (NG) tube thru the nose into the stomach to empty the stomach (gastric lavage)
- Irrigation (washing of the skin), perhaps every few hours for several days
- Atropine and pralidoxime, medicines (antidote) to reverse the effects of the poison
Patients that continue to improve over the first 4 to 6 hours (after medical treatment) usually recover.
Reviewed By: Eric Perez, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's-RooseveltHospital Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed HealthcareNetwork.